Plano Dwi Attorney Serving Collin, Dallas And Denton Counties
- DWI (driving while intoxicated)
- BWI (boating while intoxicated)
- DUI (driving under the influence – under 21 years of age)
- Public intoxication
- Minor in possession and minor in consumption
- Furnishing alcohol to a minor
These offenses can be very complicated. The best advice anyone could give you if you have been arrested for DWI is to contact a good criminal defense attorney immediately, as there are time-sensitive issues and many pitfalls to be avoided.
Kimberly Griffin Tucker is a highly regarded DWI trial lawyer in Texas. In fact, she won every DWI case that went to trial in Denton County in 2006.
Mrs. Tucker has received the following trainings to aid her in defending DWI cases:
- NHTSA/IACP Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Refresher Training (this is the same training program that police officers receive)
- Intoxilyzer 5000
What Is The Range Of Punishment On A Dwi?
- A DWI 1st is a class B misdemeanor and carries a range of punishment of up to 180 days in the county jail and/or a fine of up to $2,000.
- A DWI 2nd is a class A misdemeanor and carries a range of punishment of up to 365 days in the county jail and/or a fine of up to $4,000.
- A DWI 3rd is a third-degree felony and carries the possibility of time in the penitentiary.
- Usually, probation is a possibility…but be warned: Probation (now called “community supervision”) can be time-consuming and expensive.
- DWI surcharges
Two Cases For The Price Of One
- Implied consent and driver’s license suspensions – click here to learn more.
The Key To A Good Defense
Call Mrs. Tucker at 972-833-8246 in the metro area to schedule a consultation. Prior to coming in for your first consult, complete the Prospective Client Info – DWIs document.
Mrs. Tucker is certified in the same field sobriety testing as the cops are, and she defends many breath test cases with the help of her training on the Intoxilyzer 500.
If the police wrote a report to convict you, you should write one to help Mrs. Tucker fight the charges. Start by writing a detailed statement about what happened to you – beginning with the night before your arrest, detailing all events leading up to your arrest – as soon as possible. List any witnesses that could help you. Get their contact information and have them draft a brief statement.
Request your administrative license revocation (ALR) hearing immediately. This is a time-sensitive hearing that provides invaluable assistance to Mrs. Tucker when she is defending a DWI. Want to know more? Click here to find out more, and then request your ALR.
After Mrs. Tucker has gathered all information on your case from the ALR and criminal discovery processes, including getting a copy of your DWI videotape, she will schedule a consult to discuss final disposition, which is when we will decide whether you want to plead or go to trial.
Mrs. Tucker’s Philosophy On Dwi
If you plead, you’ve lost by allowing the state to simply convict you. If this is your first DWI, you have little to lose by trying your case. Mrs. Tucker believes that many people plead their DWI because they are afraid of the unknown. She understands this, so she will discuss your fears and concerns with you at length so that you have are comfortable with whatever decision you make.
Duis, Public Intoxication, Minor In Possession And Minor In Consumption Of Alcohol Or Tobacco
DUI is a separate offense from DWI, but it is similar to DWI in many ways. Thus, it is included on this page.
These are all class C offenses, and if they’re handled in a timely and appropriate manner, you may be afforded the ability to expunge these matters in the future so it will be as if they never happened. As one client put it: It’s like getting a second chance. And it is. So don’t blow these offenses off because you think they are unimportant. If they become convictions on your record, they will create a criminal history that speaks volumes about you and can be enhanced down the road, which can carry jail time.
If you are not a citizen of the United States, please be sure to let the team at The Law Office of Kimberly Griffin Tucker, P.C. know.